Youth Mental Health First Aid Training: Book Your Place Today!
25th July 2018
What is Mental Health First Aid?
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is an internationally recognised training course, designed to teach people how to spot the signs and symptoms of mental ill health and provide help on a first aid basis.
At MHFA England we offer a range of courses tailored for people who teach, work, live with and care for young people aged 8 to 18. The courses can be attended by anyone from age 16 upwards. Each and every MHFA course is delivered by a quality assured instructor.
Youth MHFA Two Day course
Completing our two day course qualifies you as a Youth Mental Health First Aider. Youth Mental Health First Aiders have:
- An in depth understanding of young people’s mental health and factors that affect wellbeing
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to reassure and support a young person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help a young person recover their health by guiding them to further support – whether that’s through self-help sites, their place of learning, the NHS, or a mix – engaging with parents, carers and external agencies where appropriate
- Ability to support a young person with a long term mental health issue or disability to thrive
- Tools to look after your own mental wellbeing
The course is delivered in four managable chunks:
- About mental health
- Depression and anxiety
- Suicide and psychosis
- Self-harm and eating disorders
It focuses on the issues faced by young people today, such as cyber bullying and substance misuse, and teaches how to promote protective factors and good parenting.
Everyone who completes the course gets a Youth MHFA manual to refer to whenever they need it, and a certificate to say they are a Youth Mental Health First Aider.
Book onto a Youth Mental Health First Aid Two Day Course:
3rd and 4th October 2018 – Scarborough. Course cost £200 (including workbook and certificate)
For further information or to book directly, contact Philip Hemingway or Natalie Clark at Scarborough, Whitby and Ryedale Mind on 01723 356 562.
You can book directly on Eventbrite at https://bit.ly/2uoryUW or search ‘Youth Mental Health First Aid’ on Eventbrite and select Scarborough as your location. (Please note, additional charge for processing fees)